FusionPBX + FreeSWITCH on EC2 phone behind NAT

General discussion related to Freeswitch AMI products. Readable to public, writeable to registered users.
sanjoy

FusionPBX + FreeSWITCH on EC2 phone behind NAT

Postby sanjoy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Hello,

Any pointers on how to setup FusionPBX / FreeSWITCH for the situation where

1) FPBX + FS running on EC2 with Elastic IP.
2) Softphone running on MacBook behind home router connecting to Comcast

would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sanjoy

jsun
Site Admin

Re: FusionPBX + FreeSWITCH on EC2 phone behind NAT

Postby jsun » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi, Sanjoy,

This is the standard setup we have been testing with. There is no special instructions needed other than those listed under FAQ and "Usage instructions".

Do you encounter any specific issues?

sanjoy

Postby sanjoy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks for the prompt response jsun.

Could you please send me the exact URL for the FAQ, and if possible a pointer to the answer.

I didn't find an answer at faq.php

What I am seeing is that the softphone registers with FusionPBX on EC2. And *9664 works fine. But when I call another softphone behind the same NAT / home gateway it's unable to connect, and it goes immediately to voicemail.

Thanks again,
Sanjoy

jsun
Site Admin

Postby jsun » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:02 pm

I was referring to FAQ forum for this topic, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7374

But it seems you are beyond what it covers.

The scenario you are describing has been tested fully here. We probably need to see the SIP trace to understand more what is going on. It might have to do with your router. Just try different softphone client and different network configurations (e.g., move one to cellular network), calling the client itself, etc.

sanjoy

Postby sanjoy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:45 am

Thanks a lot Jun. That worked perfectly.

So now I have X-Lite on two different MacBooks calling each other nicely. The call comes in and X-Lite answers. However, I don't see the Audio coming into the other X-Lite phone after the call connects. If I look at the EC2 with FreeSWITCH, I can see the Audio from the microphone going in. The volume of network traffic into the FreeSWITCH EC2 instance is huge. But there is very little coming out. The volume of network traffic coming out of the FreeSWITCH EC2 box is orders of magnitude smaller than the volume going in.

What am I missing in the FreeSWITCH settings that is causing the audio to not come out of FreeSWITCH?

Thanks again,
Sanjoy

jsun
Site Admin

Postby jsun » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Your scenario (two client behind same or different NAT'ed private network) should work out-of-box without any changes on the server side. On fusionpbx, you only need to create two user accounts, obviously.

Nothing is immediately obvious to me as to what is happening on your setup. I suggest trying the following:
  • Try our freeswitch AMI instead of fusionpbx with identical setup (to rule out any mis-configurations might have happened on fusionpbx)
  • Try moving one machine to a different network (e.g., via mobile phone's cellular network using its hotspot feature), to rule out any network topology issue.

Hope this helps.

sanjoy

Postby sanjoy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks Jun. I will try out your suggestions.

I did switch to FreeSWITCH AMI to rule out FusionPBX.

Thanks,
Sanjoy

sanjoy

Postby sanjoy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:33 am

Hi Jun,

Sorry to keep bugging you, but finally GOOD news. Everything worked right out of the box. Here's what I did:

1) Installed a brand new FreeSWITCH + FusionPBX.
2) Defined two extensions, 1000 and 1001. Used exactly 1000 and 1001 in every text box on the "Add an Extension" page.
3) And then everything worked like a charm. I could make calls, and hear audio and everything.

Thanks for your help, and creating a really nice product that works out of the box. The only thing missing is better documentation :). The moral of the story is don't create random Extensions with random names.

Regards,
Sanjoy

jsun
Site Admin

Postby jsun » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:41 am

Hi, Sanjoy,

I'm glad it worked.

BTW, I found FusionPBX has finally created a user guide. It might be helpful for your future work.

http://fusionpbx-docs.readthedocs.io/en ... anual.html

Jun

Return to “General discussion”